Australian Kendo Renmei, PDF Grading Exam Application form, Modified – 1 May 2015.
Apply to be examined overseas
Please note: As of January 2020 the procedures below are being updated. To apply to be examined overseas or to enquire, please contact the AKR President (firstname.lastname@example.org) directly.
Members who wish to apply to be examined in Japan by the AJKF; a Japanese prefecture kendo association or by any other overseas kendo/iaido/jodo organisation, must complete the below procedures.
- Complete all fields in full, on an AKR Grading Exam Application form. Ensuring that the dojo sensei and an officer of the relevant state/territory association has also signed the form. (There are no fees payable to the AKR.)
- Complete all fields in full on the relevant examining bodies application form. Or if the correct form is not available, please instead use the relevant AJKF Grading Application form for kyu and 1-5 Dan, or 6-7 Dan.
- Prepare a PDF copy of your current grade certificate.
- Email all the above documents completed in full and signed by all required to the AKR president (email@example.com) and copy to the AKR secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org). Your application should arrive no later than 28 days before the overseas application deadline.
By return email, the AKR will send you –
- The overseas organisations (or substitute) application form, that has been signed and approved by the AKR.*
- The copy of your dan certificate, authorised as correct.*
- A letter of approval to be examined, from the AKR.*
*Note that all the above items are required by overseas examining organisations.
When you have received those documents, you may then proceed to send your application to the examining body.
Members should allow at least two weeks for return of all application documents. Members are to then complete their application personally.
Some AJKF exams have a two or three month application cut off date, please take care to check this carefully in well advance. Please note that some AJKF exams have over 1000 applicants and for such events, the applications are handled in a strictly controlled AJKF schedule, so late entries are not considered.
Exams in Japan for 5th Dan and lower are conducted by prefecture kendo associations. Accordingly, the AJKF does not handle applications for those exams. An applicant from a foreign Kendo federation should therefore submit his/her AKR approved application documents direct to the prefecture kendo association (not to AJKF).
AKR policy to apply to be examined overseas is here.
The AJKF Event Schedule, including exam dates, is here.
Advice for AKR Members who reside overseas:
AKR Members (or former members) who have moved overseas or may reside temporarily overseas for approximately a year, or more, are strongly advised to join their local kendo association, where they will abide by local rules and procedures for grading application.