Apply to be examined overseas.
Members who wish to apply to be examined in Japan by the AJKF; a Japanese prefecture kendo association or by any other overseas kendo/iaido/jodo organisation, must complete the below relevant procedures.
AJKF Exams (6 Dan and above)
- Complete all fields in full, on an AKR Grading Exam Application form. Ensuring that the dojo sensei and an officer of the relevant state/territory association has also signed the form. (There are no fees payable to the AKR.)
- Complete all fields in full on the relevant examining bodies application form. Or if the correct form is not available, please instead use the relevant AJKF Grading Application form for kyu and 1-5 Dan, or 6-7 Dan.
- Prepare a PDF copy of your current grade certificate.
- Email all the above documents completed in full and signed by all required to the AKR president (email@example.com) and copy to the AKR secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org). Your application should arrive no later than 28 days before the overseas application deadline. The AKR will submit correct applications to the AJKF on members behalf.
- Applying members will, in due course receive further advice from the AKR regarding acceptance of their application and payment of relevant fees.
Some AJKF exams have a two or three month application cut off date, please take care to check this carefully well in advance. Some AJKF exams have over 1000 applicants and for such events, the applications are handled in a strictly controlled AJKF schedule, so late entries are not considered.
Other Exams (Japanese prefectural up to 5th Dan etc.)
Exams in Japan for 5th Dan and lower are conducted by prefecture kendo associations. Accordingly, the AJKF does not handle applications for those exams. An applicant should first complete steps 1-4 above.
AKR will provide a letter of approval, allowing at least two weeks for return of all application documents.
The member then must submit their own AKR approved application documents and other documents (as maybe required) direct to the prefecture kendo association (not to AJKF) .
Australian Kendo Renmei, PDF Grading Exam Application form, Modified – 1 May 2015.
AKR policy to apply to be examined overseas is here.
The AJKF Event Schedule, including exam dates, is here.
Advice for AKR Members who reside overseas:
AKR Members (or former members) who have moved overseas or may reside temporarily overseas for approximately a year, or more, are strongly advised to join their local kendo association, where they will abide by local rules and procedures for grading application.