Notice to members: Examination overseas

The content of this notice DOES NOT APPLY to Australians who reside in an overseas country.  Nor does it apply kendo, iaido or jodo players from overseas who maybe visiting or living in Australia for a short time and are not Australian Kendo Renmei (AKR) members.

The content of this notice is for Australian Kendo Renmei (AKR) members who are resident in Australia.

If you are a kendo, iaido or jodo player and you reside in Australia, you must be an AKR Member if you wish to train at AKR affiliated dojo, be covered by accident insurance, be examined in Australia or elsewhere and have your current grade recognised.

If you wish to be examined by an overseas affiliate of the International Kendo Federation (FIK), (including in Japan) for a kendo, iaido or jodo grade, you must be an AKR Member.

To apply to be examined overseas, please follow the below procedures, without fail.

Obtain the AKR Exam Application AND the examining body application forms.  The AKR website page on this subject has what you may need.  You will also need a copy of your current grade certificate.

To make it as clear as possible, the below procedures are also listed on the AKR application form.

  1. Apply to your dojo senior sensei for permission.
  2. If your sensei permits your application, you must then apply for approval from your state association;
  3. If your state association approves, you must then apply to the AKR;
  4. If your current grade was achieved in Australia, the AKR will certify that your grading certificate is correct, approve your application and provide you with a letter of approval;
  5. When you have completed 1-3 above and the documents have been returned to you, you may then complete your application with the examining body.
  6. For your application to proceed, you must follow both the AKR exam application procedures AND those of the overseas organisation, without fail.

Based on  recent events, PLEASE NOTE that if the examining body deems your application to be incorrect or incomplete, they may decide that as you were ineligible to be examined, therefore the exam result, even if favourable, will not be recorded.

AKR Members (or former members) who reside overseas for approximately a year or more, are strongly advised to join their local kendo association, where they must abide by and will be governed by the local rules and procedures, including for grading applications.  Note that the All Japan Kendo Federation and FIK affiliates do not recognise dual national kendo organisation memberships.  In case of a conflict, the membership that will be recognised is for the national organisation of the country that you reside in.

The procedures to apply to be examined overseas are also explained in detail at